About Me

My Photo
Originally from Vermont, I now live in North Carolina. My work can be found in recent issues of REAL: Regarding Arts and Letters, The Jabberwock Review, The Emerson Review, Storyglossia, The MacGuffin, Confrontation, Passages North, SmokeLong Quarterly, elimae, wigleaf, Pank, and Gargoyle #57, among others. One of my stories has been translated into Farsi by Asadollah Amraee, and many others by Jalil Jafari, two of which have been published in the Iranian journal, Golestaneh Magazine. Currently, I'm an assistant editor for Narrative Magazine. I'm also working on two novels and a short story collection. In 2011, I was awarded the Carol Houck Smith Contributor Scholarship for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Illuminate

From Ink Pot:

The Tsunami Report by Richard Lewis

2 comments:

Mary Akers said...

I enjoyed this commentary, except for one thing (not related to the author's writing). I was extremely bothered by the idea that doctors are fighting over injured patients to "fix" while a dearth of nurses is causing people to go without care. Why the hell aren't the doctors taking over where the nurses can't? Is it beneath them? Doctors have the skills to do nursing duties. Surely if they are there to offer comfort and succor, they would step in wherever they are needed!

katrina said...

Yes, it does seem rather odd. I would imagine the doctors could find plenty to do.

It must have been soul-opening to see first hand the aftermath of this tragedy. And the strength of the human spirit. I don't know that I would have been able to articulate it so well so soon after.