About Me

My Photo
Originally from Vermont, I now live in North Carolina. My work can be found in recent issues of REAL: Regarding Arts and Letters, The Jabberwock Review, The Emerson Review, Storyglossia, The MacGuffin, Confrontation, Passages North, SmokeLong Quarterly, elimae, wigleaf, Pank, and Gargoyle #57, among others. One of my stories has been translated into Farsi by Asadollah Amraee, and many others by Jalil Jafari, two of which have been published in the Iranian journal, Golestaneh Magazine. Currently, I'm an assistant editor for Narrative Magazine. I'm also working on two novels and a short story collection. In 2011, I was awarded the Carol Houck Smith Contributor Scholarship for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.

Friday, January 21, 2005

Ruminate

Well it's that time again. Nasty weather is heading into perpetually sunny golfers' paradise and threatening to mess up the courses. But that doesn't affect me because I don't golf. For me, the impending ice/snow means simply a yearly test of inner strength, and a test to how well we've stocked up. We have enough food to last us weeks. Enough peanut butter alone to keep us alive for a month or more. But still, when Tom suggested we could get by without running to the store and fighting mobs, I felt a bit...uncomfortable. Peanut butter? Who would want that when we could have brie and grapes? Pasta salads? Sliced veggies?
I went off to do an errand with a firm resolve to tough it out. To not go to the store or to the specialty deli. To be willing to test my inner strength and pioneer spirit. After all, we had already survived a snowstorm that kept us in the dark and cold for over two weeks (and let's not forget about one tornado).

When I returned from my errand the house was empty. Guess who took the kids to the store? ;)

UPDATE:

It seems the big storm is only a small spitting of ice in this area. It's the northeast that will get the brunt of it. Fine. My inner strength would rather take it easy this week. At least we won't have to go shopping for a while...

No comments: