About Me

My Photo
Originally from Vermont, I now live in North Carolina. My work can be found in recent issues of REAL: Regarding Arts and Letters, The Jabberwock Review, The Emerson Review, Storyglossia, The MacGuffin, Confrontation, Passages North, SmokeLong Quarterly, elimae, wigleaf, Pank, and Gargoyle #57, among others. One of my stories has been translated into Farsi by Asadollah Amraee, and many others by Jalil Jafari, two of which have been published in the Iranian journal, Golestaneh Magazine. Currently, I'm an assistant editor for Narrative Magazine. I'm also working on two novels and a short story collection. In 2011, I was awarded the Carol Houck Smith Contributor Scholarship for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.

Thursday, January 20, 2005

A Sad Day

I will not be posting today except to post my displeasure and sadness on this inaugural day. Some people will be partying. I will not. For me, as this war in Iraq continues, as the possibility of another nears, as this administration continues to lie to the American public, this is a day of mourning, not celebration.

Today, I will wear black; I will not buy a single thing; I will not watch television; nor will I listen to the radio.


There is a most apt quote on Salome's website today:

Salome

2 comments:

Mary Akers said...

I'm in mourning, too. I even had to turn off my old favorite, NPR, because I couldn't take the sick feeling in my stomach and the surges of anger. And I went grocery shopping last night at 11:00 pm so I wouldn't have to buy anything today. Packed all my kids lunches, too, at their request.

Clifford Garstang said...

Since I was on my way back to the States, I had no choice but to travel, although at least the only money I spent was in Mexico City. I did have to pass through Washington, D.C., though, and got stuck for several hours in the bus-station like commuter airline terminal at Dulles Airport, with no way to escape the two large screen TVs blaring the self-righteous, arrogant meaninglessness of that little man. If he would just come right out and admit that he's a fascist, I'd have a little more respect for the guy. Sad, indeed.