About Me

My Photo
Originally from Vermont, I now live in North Carolina. My work can be found in recent issues of REAL: Regarding Arts and Letters, The Jabberwock Review, The Emerson Review, Storyglossia, The MacGuffin, Confrontation, Passages North, SmokeLong Quarterly, elimae, wigleaf, Pank, and Gargoyle #57, among others. One of my stories has been translated into Farsi by Asadollah Amraee, and many others by Jalil Jafari, two of which have been published in the Iranian journal, Golestaneh Magazine. Currently, I'm an assistant editor for Narrative Magazine. I'm also working on two novels and a short story collection. In 2011, I was awarded the Carol Houck Smith Contributor Scholarship for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Confrontation

I've had one of those Ah ha moments lately, thanks to some astute readers. Throughout my life I've been uncomfortable with confrontation. I've avoided it, often at my own expense. Recently I've noticed that same pattern showing up in my work. I take characters to a certain point and don't allow them to break through the barriers. To let them rip. To allow them to have their confrontations and resolutions.

I find as I get older I'm less afraid of confrontation in real life. I'm no longer afraid to stand up for myself or take a stand for something I believe in, even if it means disagreeing with every person in the room.

I think it's time I allow confrontation to show up on the page as well.

No comments: