About Me

My Photo
Originally from Vermont, I now live in North Carolina. My work can be found in recent issues of REAL: Regarding Arts and Letters, The Jabberwock Review, The Emerson Review, Storyglossia, The MacGuffin, Confrontation, Passages North, SmokeLong Quarterly, elimae, wigleaf, Pank, and Gargoyle #57, among others. One of my stories has been translated into Farsi by Asadollah Amraee, and many others by Jalil Jafari, two of which have been published in the Iranian journal, Golestaneh Magazine. Currently, I'm an assistant editor for Narrative Magazine. I'm also working on two novels and a short story collection. In 2011, I was awarded the Carol Houck Smith Contributor Scholarship for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Week's End May 12

In personal news I'm making good progress in my novel and my children are getting ready for graduation--one from preschool and the other from highschool. Ai!

In literary news this week, first I want to congratulate the writers of the list of MWA Notable stories of 2006!! And I'd also like to congratulate Steven McDermott of Storyglossia for winning Best Online Journal this year. I'm so happy he received this recognition because man, that guy sure does work hard to promote the short story and other writers. He's also a fine writer in his own right. So congrats, Steven!

Also if you somehow missed it, I want to point out the new issue of Narrative is out with lots of good fiction and an incredible story by my friend Pia Z. Ehrhardt, whose collection is coming out in June! Really if you only get a few books this year, make sure Pia's is one of them--her writing is so beautiful, so clear, you'll be breathless while reading.

Have a great week next week!

And what someone did in my neighborhood to make me smile: with black spray paint, added the word Bush under the word Stop on the stop sign down the street.

Peace.

1 comment:

online sports writing jobs said...

I hope you are having a blast writing your novel! I have actually only recently read a piece by Pia Z. Ehrhardt
I was having coffee with my daughters english teacher she had a copy of Oxford American. I instantly fell in love with her work. She recommended buying Famous Fathers and Other Stories she told me she has not finished it yet but so far its brilliant!

Good luck!
Anne